Nick and Perry Sumas founded Village Super Market, Inc. in 1937. They were brothers and Greek immigrants who came to the United States in search of the “American Dream.” Neither had a formal education, but they both believed that with diligence and determination came opportunities that could only be found in this country. They cared deeply about their associates. They were proud that they were able to provide steady work for so many people, and an opportunity for the next generation to obtain a formal education as a result. In honor of these two men, the following generations of the Sumas family want to expand the opportunity for scholarship funds to more people across the company. This year we will be awarding up to forty $1,000 scholarships for undergraduate education. Once eligibility criteria is met, there will be one scholarship recipient from each of our thirty-seven stores, plus one from the PDC, one from the MFC, and one from our corporate office team. All recipients must reapply each year.
- Current full or part-time employees (union or non-union) OR children or grandchildren of current employees of Village Super Market who have been employed for at least six months at the time of application.
- High school seniors entering college next year or current college students.*
- 3.0 GPA
*The scholarship may be used at any accredited college, university or professional school in the United States.
How To Apply
- All applications will be done via an online form. To access registration, please visit bitly.com/vsmscholarshipapplication or scan this QR code:
Selection of Winners
- A Village Super Market selection committee will select the scholarship recipients.
- In evaluating the applicants, the committee considers the applicants’ grades, written essay, and financial need.
- Students must be in good standing and free from disciplinary actions.
- All applicants will be notified of the results by May 31st, 2021.
For additional information about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Scholarship Opportunities:
NJ Food Council – Education Development Scholarship
- The Education Development Scholarship Program was created with the goal to promote future leaders, create a benefit for NJFC members and their families, and support the food industry.
- Scholarships are available for the Fall 2021 school year and the deadline to submit an application is April 19, 2021.
- Specific eligibility criteria, applications, and additional information is available at njfoodcouncil.com/2021-scholarship