Halloween should be all about celebrating with spooky, fun activities! Trick or treating is a tradition that is enjoyed by many people!
Here are a few tips to balance your sweet tooth on Halloween, if you plan to go trick or treating:
- Eat a meal or snack before going trick or treating! This will prevent you and your family from overeating candy while you are out celebrating.
- Walk house to house instead of driving. Adding in some exercise will help burn a few extra calories and give you energy to stop at a few extra houses!
- Portion out candy to make it last! Let each of your family members choose 1-2 pieces of candy per day (after Halloween). This is a great way to make the candy last while also still being able to enjoy each piece.
For a fun, festive activity you can make at home with the family, check out this recipe for Frankenguac! This would be a perfect, filling snack to have with some corn tortilla chip[s before you head out to trick or treat.
- 1 cup chopped avocado
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon original mild taco sauce
- 1 Tablespoon plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 (¼-inch-thick) slices cremini mushroom
- 1 pitted black olive, halved crosswise
- 2 cups blue corn tortilla chips
- In small bowl, mash avocado, lime juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt with fork.
- Place taco sauce and yogurt in 2 separate small zip-top plastic bags; snip bottom corner of each bag.
- On serving platter, spread avocado mixture into a 5 x 6-inch rectangle. Place 1 mushroom slice toward bottom of each side of rectangle for “bolts.” Pipe yogurt on avocado mixture to make 2 “eyeballs;” place olive halves on “eyeballs” for “pupils.” Pipe taco sauce on avocado mixture to make “mouth” and “stitches.”
For more fun recipe inspiration, visit The Recipe Shop on ShopRite.com.
Our Village Nutrition team is always available for suggestions, recipe inspiration and consultations for associates. Please email us at VillageNutritionTeam@wakefern.com for more information!